May 25, 2022
The Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art (BA-SA) degree at Landmark College prepares students to identify how the world of art affects our daily lives and will therefore have an awareness of how to apply this knowledge to one of the many career paths that are available to someone who has attained this degree major.
The BA-SA prepares artists for positions in art education, professional roles in art-related fields, or graduate work in Masters of Fine Arts programs. Our curriculum exposes students to a range of art disciplines, deepens their understanding of the arts in history and culture, and promotes the acquisition and refinement of technical skills.
Upon completion of the BA-SA students should have developed:
- Creative problem-solving through looking at the world through a lens that is not the paradigm
- Specific skill sets: obtaining concrete, marketable, technical skills to produce art
- Informed awareness:
- Critical thinking to becoming better, curious citizens
- Perspective on how the role art plays in society: historically, socially, conceptually
- Self-understanding to become effective in their work
- Effective interpersonal communication to:
- Navigate challenging social experiences and issues
- Communicate complex conceptual ideas verbally through a grounding in visual material
- Actively and verbally synthesize information in real time.
To earn the B.A. in Studio Art degree, students must complete 122 credits:
- 27 credits of major required courses
- 15 major required credits
- 12 major required credits that also count toward general education
- 16 credits of Foundation Studio
- 18 credits in Studio Art
- 25 additional credits to complete the general education requirements
- 36 credits of open electives (24 must be at the 3000/4000 level)
Major Requirements: 27 credits
Foundation Studio Requirements: 16 credits
(3 credits count toward Gen Ed)
All Foundation Studio Requirement courses require a grade of C or higher to count towards B.A. in Studio Art major.
Studio Art/Focus Area: 18 credits
18 credits total: 9 credits in a specific focus area and 9 credits at 3000/4000 level.
All courses at or above the 2000 level require a grade of C or higher to count towards B.A. in Studio Art major.
- Time-Based Media, including Sound Art and Video
Additional General Education Core Requirements: 25 credits
Open Electives: 36 credits
12 credits at any level
24 credits at 3000/4000 level