Jun 26, 2019  
2018-19 College Catalog 
2018-19 College Catalog

Academic Policies

Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism

As an academic community, Landmark strives to instill and foster intellectual honesty and integrity. Effective evaluation of student work can occur only in an environment in which intellectual honesty is respected. Academic dishonesty is a clear violation of academic integrity and academic responsibility. Academic dishonesty includes but is not limited to inappropriate giving or receiving of aid during tests, and plagiarism.

To plagiarize is to give the impression that a thought or a piece of writing is original, when, in fact, it is borrowed from another without providing a reference.

Each student is responsible for ensuring that his or her work does not involve plagiarism. Ignorance of plagiarism, or of Landmark rules, is not a mitigating circumstance. Students with questions about plagiarism should consult the professor of the course for whom they are preparing work.

The minimum penalty for plagiarism is no credit (recorded as a zero for the purpose of determining the student’s course grade) for the unit of work in which plagiarism occurs unless the professor deems the specific nature of the infraction allows for a revised submission of the assignment for credit.

The maximum penalty for first offense plagiarism is a failing grade for the course in which the plagiarism occurs. In cases of repeated offense, suspension or expulsion from Landmark may be imposed at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the President. No opportunity may be granted to make up or otherwise fulfill the requirements of the unit of work involved.  A student suspended from Landmark may not transfer to Landmark any course credits earned at other institutions during the period of suspension.

Professors are expected to report any suspected cases of academic dishonesty and plagiarism to the Registrar.

Procedures if a suspected infraction occurs:

  1. Professor meets with student within 5 days.
  2. Professor determines infraction occurred.
  3. Depending on circumstances (as assessed by faculty member) the penalty imposed could be (a), (b) or (c)
    1. resubmission of assignment complying with accepted conditions;
    2. failure of assignment;
    3. failure of the course. 
  4. All infractions are reported to the department chair, student advisor, and the Dean of the School of Education.
  5. All documented cases of plagiarism will be kept on file in the student’s registrar’s file. 

Academic Engagement / AIT / Involuntary Withdrawal

Constructive engagement with the academic curriculum is a fundamental assumption of participation in higher education. For continued enrollment at Landmark College, students are expected to be engaged productively and consistently in the academic program.

Patterns of academic engagement each semester include:

  • Attending classes consistently and regularly to meet course expectations
  • Completing assignments in all courses
  • Maintaining passing grades in a majority of courses
  • Use of campus resources provided by the College to support and enhance academic performance

Students who fail to meet minimum standards of academic engagement will be required to participate in any academic intervention meetings deemed necessary by the college and follow through on any designated action plans/learning contracts.

Students who fail to demonstrate minimum standards of academic engagement, fail to respond to intervention for an extended period (such as the majority of a regular semester), and fail to meet the conditions of their action plans/learning contracts within a reasonable period of time, as determined by the Dean of the School of Education, will be liable for involuntary withdrawal from the College by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Any student involuntarily withdrawn under the Academic Engagement Policy has the right to appeal directly to the President of the College. Students who are involuntarily withdrawn under this policy may be eligible to reapply to the College, depending on the conditions specified in their exit paperwork.

Academic Minors Policy

Academic minors are available as an option for students earning a B.A./B.S. at Landmark College. The declaration of a minor is not a requirement to earn a B.A./B.S. All proposed minors receive approval through the same procedure used for proposed courses; specifically, a department chair proposes a minor to the curriculum committee for its approval and the curriculum committee then recommends a minor to the Vice President for Academic Affairs for final approval in consultation with the President.  


An academic minor within the Liberal Studies major provides a student with an opportunity to focus his/her studies on an area of particular interest, ideally in a discipline that complements the curriculum of the student’s major.  Engaging in the study of a discipline through a minor promotes connections to multiple departments, as well as to a subject or area that a student may choose to pursue beyond the attainment of their B.A./B.S.degree, either academically or through a career. A completed minor is noted on a student’s B.A./B.S. degree transcript and serves as further demonstration of a student’s intellectual persistence and dedication to a particular academic discipline. 

Description of Academic Minors:

A minor constitutes the successful completion of 18-21 credits that are defined by academic departments. Each minor includes a majority of its required courses at the 2000/3000 level, with a foundational course or courses at the 1000 level and a culminating course or courses at the 4000 level. Six credits from transferred courses can apply towards a minor. A grade of C or higher must be earned for each course that is counted for a student’s minor. 

The sequence of courses within each minor reflects a logical approach to the curriculum and current practices in higher education. A minor includes at least one to three required courses that are offered regularly and predictably along with multiple elective options. Sufficient electives are available to allow for student flexibility of choice. The sequence or spread of courses in a minor may vary over time. The existence of a minor does not require departments/programs to run courses that do not enroll consistently; departments/programs may substitute courses, in consultation with the School Dean, resulting in minor changes in requirements for academic minors.

School Deans, Department Chairs and the Curriculum Committee ensure that newly proposed minors are distinct from existing minors. On a three year assessment cycle, the School Deans, in consultation with the Curriculum Committee, ensures that the current offering of minors remains viable.

Students can apply up to 6 credits that count as requirements for a major program toward a minor. Students can apply up to 3 credits toward 2 different minors.  Any elective for the B.A./B.S. program can be used toward a minor.

Academic Probation

These policy statements outline the steps leading to Academic Probation that may result in suspension from the College. The policy applies to students who attempt nine or more credits in a given semester, or who have attempted 15 cumulative credits over the course of their tenure at Landmark College.

  • If a student’s cumulative GPA at the end of a semester falls below 2.0 (or below 1.8 for a student completing the first semester), the student will begin the next semester on Academic Warning.
  • If the student’s cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the end of the next consecutive semester, the student will begin the next semester on Academic Probation.
  • If the student’s cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the end of the next consecutive semester, the student will be suspended from the College for one year.

A semester is defined as the Fall or Spring term. Summer term or January term credit courses and study abroad do not constitute semesters, although grades earned during these programs are factored into the cumulative GPA.

A student placed on suspension can appeal the ruling in writing to the Vice President of Academic Affairs within one calendar week of notification of suspension. The appeal should consist of a letter of intention, outlining why the student’s appeal should be considered, and an academic plan for success that the student intends to abide by if the appeal is granted.

Students who enter the College at the partial-credit level are expected to earn passing grades of C- or better in WRT0911 Developmental Writing and EDU1001 Foundations in Learning within two attempts. Students who are unable to earn the minimum C- grade at the end of the second term of partial credit may be asked to leave the College and must petition the Dean of Education to continue enrollment at the College for a third term. If students return for a third semester they are expected to earn passing grades of C- in the majority of their courses. If students are unable to earn passing grades of C- or better in the majority of their courses, they will not be able to return to the College.

Academic Standing

The following categories represent the Landmark College policy regarding Academic Standing definitions:

  • Dean’s List: Four or more full-time courses with no grade lower than “B” and no withdrawals in a given semester.
  • Good Standing: Maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better.
  • Academic Warning: Falling below a cumulative GPA of 2.0, or below a GPA of 1.8 if a first semester student.
  • Academic Probation: Failure to remain in good standing as the result of a cumulative GPA that falls below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters.
  • Suspension: If the student’s cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the end of the third consecutive semester, the student will be suspended from the College for one year. Decisions to suspend or continue on probation will be made at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, following a recommendation by the Dean of the School of Education, after consultation with the student’s professors and advisor.

Adding and Dropping Courses

It is the policy of Landmark College to permit students to drop courses without record prior to the end of the fourth instructional week of the semester.

In addition, students may add courses during the first week of the semester. Students are responsible for completing the work already in progress in courses added during this period. The Registrar will supply dates for adding and dropping at the start of each semester.

To add or drop a course at the beginning of a semester, the student must have his or her advisor approve schedule changes. In cases when students are requesting waivers for prerequisites in order to add the course, the appropriate department chair must also give approval.

Administrative Course Withdrawal

Students may be administratively withdrawn from a course at the discretion of their professor under the guidelines that follow. Administrative Withdrawals are considered only after other efforts to promote student success have failed.

Guidelines for Initiating an Administrative Course Withdrawal

  • The student has missed an equivalent of two weeks of the course, and
  • The student has missed too many scheduled opportunities to meet the course learning objectives, such as assignment completion, or office hour appointments, and
  • The student is disengaged. (see engagement policy)


Administrative withdrawals can only begin at the start of the official withdrawal period, usually at week 5 of the semester.

Before initiating an Administrative Withdrawal a professor must:

  • Document the student’s attendance and grades in the SIS system in a timely manner for the student and the student’s advisor.
  • Attempt to meet with the student to provide guidance and support.
  • Issue no fewer than three academic warning notices in the SIS system to document the accumulation of absences and the related academic performance difficulties that justify an administrative withdrawal. Student will have at least 2 academic days from issuance of the third warning to respond to the professor.
  • Issue a SIS comment stating that an administrative withdrawal has been initiated.

Once administrative withdrawal is initiated, the department chair must approve administrative withdrawals. The department chair also manages the appeal process in coordination with the professor and the student. Department chairs teaching their own courses should submit administrative withdrawal form to the School Dean for approval.

The chair communicates with the student, the professor and the advisor setting the timeline for finalized withdrawals and the appeal process.

Administrative Course Withdrawal: Appealing

Any student administratively withdrawn from a course has the right to make an appeal. The following guidelines govern the appeal process:

  • The student submits a written appeal that includes an action plan that outlines specific steps to re-engage in the course. This appeal must be submitted within five (5) working days of notification of administrative course withdrawal and submitted to the department chair and the professor.
  • The student must attend class during the appeal process.

The department chair, in consultation with the professor, will make the final decision on the appeal based on:

  • A review of the student’s overall participation and performance in the course and the student’s written appeal which includes an action plan.
  • A review of the professor’s required documentation.
  • The department chair communicates the student’s status with the professor during the 5-day appeal period.
  • In the case that the appeal is denied, the chair communicates with the Registrar to record the withdrawal from the class.

Administrative Course Withdrawals: Multiple

In some cases, students are administratively withdrawn from multiple courses during the semester. In these cases, any student enrolled in only two courses will be reviewed by the Academic Intervention Team unless the student’s initial plan included course load reduction. Students who begin a semester with four or five academic courses, and reduce their course load to two or fewer will initiate the Academic Intervention Team’s review. This team will present a recommendation to the Dean of the School of Education regarding continued enrollment for the student.


It is the policy of Landmark College to require attendance in all classes, to ensure intensive and consistent instruction. In addition, because classes are small, the absence of one or more students may affect the learning of the entire class. Students who miss classes may be subject to academic disciplinary action as described in the Administrative Withdrawal Policy and the Student Handbook. Consequences for non-attendance can lead to suspension from the college, as described in the Withdrawal policy. Students are reminded to check course syllabi for professor’s grading policies with regard to attendance.

Auditing Courses

It is the policy of Landmark College to permit matriculated degree students to audit courses offered at the College.

  • Priority for enrollment is given to those students who are not auditing the course.
  • A student may elect to change a course he or she is auditing to regular enrollment during the add period of the semester only.
  • A student may elect to change a course is which he or she is enrolled to an audit during the drop period of the semester only.
  • To select or deselect the Audit Option, an Audit form must be completed and approved by the student’s advisor, the course professor, and the appropriate department chair.

A record of the audit appears on the student’s transcript, but no credit can be earned for the course, and no letter grade can be earned or factored into the student’s GPA.

Award of Credit Policy

Credit may be granted only to offerings that are degree appropriate, demonstrate sufficient
course instruction, and include student learning outcomes that can be assessed and
documented. Credit is not awarded to learning experiences that are considered activities.


Any course bearing credit has standard expectations. These include:

  • A syllabus that includes credit level course objectives
  • A Grading Policy that details the nature and weight of assessments
  • A Regular class meeting time
  • Professor use of college systems used for communicating and documenting progress or concerns

Class Cancellation Policy

Faculty or Administration will notify the college when classes are cancelled. Official notice of class cancellations and faculty absences is posted each day during the academic year on Sharknet.

Classroom Recording Policy

Federal laws, including the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, require institutions of higher education to provide reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Permission to make recordings of lectures and class discussions is a reasonable accommodation for many students with language-based learning disabilities, attention disorders, communication disorders, and significant difficulties with executive functions.

For the purposes of private academic study and review, Landmark College students may record class lectures and discussions using analog or digital technology, including audio, video, still photos, and other forms of capture technology as they become available.

Classroom faculty may record their own class lectures and discussions to serve various purposes at the discretion of the faculty member. These purposes include academic research (with Institutional Review Board approval), professional development, and digitization of course content for access through course websites and other formats.

All course materials (lectures, discussions, handouts, examinations, web materials) and the general, intellectual contents of each course at Landmark College are protected under federal copyright laws. The content of any recording of a lecture or class discussion is protected under federal copyright law and may not be published, quoted, or shared without the consent of the faculty member.

The College’s Policy on Academic Freedom will prevail in all applications of the Recording policy. Classroom recordings created under the policy cannot be used by students for purposes other than as a tool to support personal study and review of course material for test preparation and similar, academic uses related to the course.

Students are required to inform faculty before recording class lectures and discussions for such personal, academic study, and review. Faculty members are required to inform students when recording class lectures and activities that include student participation. If a faculty member records classes to support research activities, the faculty member must obtain informed consent from students before incorporating student-generated data in the research. (Faculty members and others wishing to conduct classroom-based research are required to adhere to protocols, set by the College’s Institutional Review Board, that govern such research.)

Students and professors making classroom recordings are responsible for keeping sensitive and personal materials private. Students and professors may not publish, quote, or share classroom recordings in publicly accessible locations, and in real or digital (e.g., networked or online) environments, without the expressed consent of the individuals being recorded or affected by the recordings. Any violation of these requirements will be viewed by the College as a serious violation of the College’s rules, and will result in College discipline and other remedies as appropriate. Students who wish to make recordings in class will be required to sign an acknowledgment that they understand and will comply with these requirements.

In cases for which students may be absent from classes, professors should not be expected to provide students with a recording of the class meeting.

The syllabus for each course at the College must include a statement that students are allowed to record in the classroom for study and review. Course syllabi should also state that any student concerned about the creation of classroom recordings should speak with the professor about the concerns at the outset of the course.

Copyright Statement

It is the intent of Landmark College that all members of the College community adhere to the provisions of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, United States Code, Sect. 101, et seq). Members of the College community who willfully disregard the copyright policy do so at their own risk and assume all liability.

For the Landmark College policy on the copyrightable works created by the College’s faculty and staff while engaged in College-associated activities, please visit the Landmark College Copyright Policy in the Employee Handbook: https://sharknet.landmark.edu/departments/hr/Pages/Handbooks-Page.aspx.

Copyright Clearance

Landmark College maintains an institutional license with the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) for copyright permissions from thousands of publishers. The College expects faculty and staff to obtain permission for the distribution of copyright-protected materials via the CCC’s easy-to-use interface.

Digital Millennium Copyright Act Agent

In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Pub. L. 105-304, Landmark College has designated a DMCA agent to receive notification of alleged copyright infringement occurring in the landmark.edu domain. Contact dmcaagent@landmark.edu to report any concerns.

Copyright Support

The Landmark College Library offers assistance with:

  • using the Copyright Clearance Center’s Annual License permissions interface
  • finding other options for resources not covered by the CCC license
  • finding resources on copyright issues pertaining to faculty and staff

The Library staff cannot, however, offer any legal advice about copyright.

Course Load

Students attending Landmark College are expected to enroll in 12 credits per semester or the equivalent at the non-credit level. Students may enroll in up to 15 academic credits freely. Students desiring to take 18 or more credits during the course of a semester should petition the Dean of the School of Education. 

Credit Hour Policy

In alignment with federal regulations, Landmark College assigns credit hours to courses according to what is considered a minimum and reasonable amount of academic time that students need in order to prepare for and achieve intended learning outcomes.

At Landmark, each credit hour of instruction consists of one hour and fifteen minutes of classroom time. In addition to class attendance, students are expected to complete at least two additional weekly hours of academic activity outside of class for each credit hour of instruction. (For example, for a 3-credit course, students are expected each week to attend class for 3 hours and 45 minutes and to complete approximately 6 hours of additional class-related work.)

This standard also applies to courses that are offered via distance delivery systems (online and hybrid). These courses are designed in collaboration with content experts who are able to assure that student demands are equivalent to those required in face-to-face courses.

Internships and study abroad experiences offer academic credit that is applicable to a program of study. These endeavors are approved, supervised, and evaluated by faculty who are charged with maintaining the academic integrity of the experience, developing learning objectives, and measuring outcomes. Time on academic task requirements are at least the same for these courses as they would be for more traditional academic experiences.

Declaration of Degree and Major Policy

Degree Defined: A degree is a blanket term that refers to a complete program offered by the college. The degree is the credential a student earns by meeting a series of requirements and completing a specific number of credits, either 60-61 credits (Associate level) or 120-122 credits (Baccalaureate level).  Landmark College offers four different degrees, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Associate of Arts and Associate of Science.  The Science degrees are offered primarily through the School of Professional Studies and Science.  The Arts degrees are offered primarily through the School of Liberal Studies and the Arts.  Arts degrees are generally more expansive requiring a variety of liberal arts courses.  Science degrees are generally more focused on a specific specialization or area of study.  A complete degree program is comprised of a general education core, major requirements, and electives.  Students can also use their electives to complete an optional minor and/or a concentration.

Declaring a degree:  Students indicate what level of educational goal they are attempting by enrolling at Landmark College when they are admitted to the college.  They do this by declaring a degree (Bachelor’s or Associate’s).  At this point, Enrollment Management should capture if a student is interested in completing that degree with Landmark College or if they intend to transfer. 

Major Defined: A major is the specialization or area of focus within the degree.  It refers to the academic discipline to which an undergraduate student formally commits.  While a student may be qualified to be matriculated to seek a degree at Landmark College, some majors require additional qualifications to be accepted into the major.  

Declaring a major: In order to assure satisfactory academic progress towards a degree, students are required to declare a specific major.

  • Students accepted to the full credit curriculum may declare their major upon entry into Landmark College.
  • Students accepted into the Partial Credit or the Language Intensive Curriculum (LIC) programs will defer declaration until the semester in which they are enrolled in full credit.
  • Students who enter Landmark in Partial Credit or the LIC, will have an undeclared degree listed as their degree of interest.
  • Students are required to declare a major by the conclusion of their second semester in the full credit program. If a student has not declared a major by the start of the third semester they will not be allowed to register for additional credits. 
  • Transfer students with 30 or more transfer credits must declare a major before their second semester registration begins in their first semester or they will not be allowed to register for additional credits.
  • Transfer students who have earned an Associate degree must declare a major before registering for their first semester.
  • Students are obligated to meet the degree requirements published in the academic catalog of the academic year in which the declaration of major is accepted.
  • Landmark College will honor degree requirements for students who have declared a major and who have left the College for up to four semesters at which point the student must declare the major under the new major requirements.
  • Students are allowed to re-declare newer major requirements but cannot revert to older requirements once that re-declaration has been accepted.
  • Students who graduate with an AA or AS degree from Landmark College but who enroll for subsequent semesters must declare a BA or BS degree and major before registering for courses in the subsequent semester.
  • The Declaration of Degree and Major form, signed by the student and advisor, will be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
  • The Registrar’s Office will record the students’ degree and major choice which will then appear on their transcripts, schedules, and in the Power Campus database for tracking purposes. The date the student declares will be available through Student Central.

Degrees with Honors

The designation cum laude (with honors) on the Landmark College diploma is a recognized mark of superior academic accomplishment. Students who show particular distinction in scholarship at Landmark College will be recognized by graduating with one of three degrees of honors: Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Cum Laude.

Summa Cum Laude 3.8 - 4.0 GPA
Magna Cum Laude 3.5 - 3.79 GPA
Cum Laude 3.2 - 3.49 GPA


Extensions beyond the end of the semester are granted only in cases for which the student has a documented illness or is unable to complete the course due to documented circumstances beyond the control of the student. In such cases, an extension will be granted only if the student has completed a substantial proportion of the coursework for the class in which the extension is requested. The deadline for late work to be submitted can be no later than 30 days past the date that final grades are due to the Registrar. The professor of the course, the department chair, and the School Dean must approve the extension before it is submitted to the Registrar’s Office, necessitating that the extension form be submitted to the Dean by the date that the final grades are due to the Registrar. Landmark College does not provide a grade of IN or incomplete.

FERPA: Access to Records: Notification of Rights

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (“FERPA”) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. For the full text of this notifications, please see the Student Handbook. Neither this summary nor the full notification of students’ rights under FERPA published in the Student Handbook is intended to create contractual or other rights or remedies beyond any created by FERPA itself.

Student rights under FERPA include:
1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. 
2. The right to request the amendment of an education record that the student believes is inaccurate.
3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

FERPA: Psycho-Educational Evaluations and Related Medical Records Procedures

Landmark College accepts the Association on Higher Education and Disability’s (AHEAD) interpretation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) regarding disability-related information. Specifically, disability-related information “should be treated as medical information and handled under the same strict rules of confidentiality as is other medical information. This includes the comprehensive documentation from an appropriate source that persons with disabilities are often required to provide to establish the existence of their disability and their need for accommodation or consideration” (emphasis added).1

AHEAD further maintains that: “In the U.S., the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, provides students with access to their own educational records…Treatment records of a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional are exempt from disclosure under FERPA” (emphasis added).

The medical records, including psycho-educational evaluations and related information, are therefore not part of the educational record of the student, and may not be disclosed. As detailed in 34 CFR Part 99, Subpart A, the term “education records” does not include “Records on a student who is 18 years of age or older, or is attending an institution of postsecondary education, that are…Made or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting in his or her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity.”2
In accordance with federal law, Landmark College will not transfer, release, disclose, or otherwise offer for inspection for any purpose those records that are exempt from disclosure under FERPA, specifically including psycho-educational and related records.

From the Association on Higher Education and Disability’s pamphlet “Confidentiality and Disability Issues in Higher Education” (2001).
For full information on FERPA, go to www.ed.gov/policy/gen/reg/ferpa/index.html


Letter-graded, credit-bearing courses in which the student earns a grade of C- or lower may be retaken once for forgiveness.

Courses to be forgiven must be taken at Landmark. As per our transfer credit policy, we do not transfer grades from other colleges.

Credits will be earned only once for courses which are repeated and forgiven.

Upon completion of the second attempt in the course, the higher of the two grades for the course will be recorded and factored into the student’s GPA. The original attempt (course title, code and grade) will remain on the student’s transcript, the grade forgiven in brackets.

Upon a successful repeat, original notations of the student’s academic status based on the earlier GPA calculation (academic warning or academic probation) will not be changed and will remain on the student’s transcript.

A student who earns a grade of W, or WP in a course, and takes the course again is not considered to be using the forgiveness policy. If the student earns a C- or lower in a course on the second attempt for which he or she has had a W or WP on the first attempt, the student can take the course a third time using the forgiveness policy. A record of all three attempts will appear on the transcript, however, the highest grade earned in the class is the grade which will be used to figure the student’s GPA.

Grading System

A student’s grade point average is calculated based on two values. The first is the total credit hours the student has taken, and the second is the total quality points the student has earned. When a GPA calculation extends beyond two decimal places it is truncated (a GPA calculation of 1.456 would be evaluated as 1.45.) The total credit hours a student has taken is equal to the sum of the credit hours assigned to each course she has successfully completed. It is the policy of Landmark College that the following shall constitute its Grading

Letter Grade GPA Equivalency Grade Scale Definition (credit courses only)
A 4.0 93-100 Excellent; distinguished achievement in all phases of the course
A- 3.7 90-92  
B+ 3.3 87-89 Very good; high level of achievement in some phases of the course
B 3.0 83-86  
B- 2.7 80-82  
C+ 2.3 77-79 Fair; basic understanding of subject has been demonstrated
C 2.0 73-76  
C- 1.7 70-72  
D+ 1.3 67-69 Poor; minimal performance
D 1.0 63-66  
D- 0.7 60-62  
F 0.0 0-59 Failure


Other Marks
AU Audited a course
CR Credit
EX Extension - Issued by professor with prior approval of the Academic Dean to indicate that the student is continuing to work on course requirements for an extra semester without penalty in final grade
LP Low Pass - Issued by the registrar in a P/LP/F selected option course. See Pass/Low Pass /Fail policy for details.
NC No credit - Issued by the professor in a Credit/No Credit grading option course
P Pass
S Satisfactory - Issued by the professor for the noncredit courses in the Visiting Student Summer session
TR Transfer Credit
U Unsatisfactory - Issued by the professor for the noncredit courses in the Visiting Student Summer Session.
W Withdrawn from course (student’s progress not specified at time of withdrawal; a WF is included in the student’s GPA in the same way that an F is included)
WP Withdrawn from course (passing)
WF Withdrawn from course (failing)

AU, P, LP, CR, NC, S, TR, U, W, or WP - no quality points earned; not counted in GPA credits

Grading: Appeal of Final Grades and Change of Grade 

Student Appeal of Final Grade for Individual Courses

A student may appeal a final grade in a course under the following specific conditions:

  • The student may submit an appeal based on the claim that the professor of the course failed to adhere to the stated grading policy of the course as the policy appears in the course syllabus.
  • The student may submit an appeal based on a claim that the professor of the course was discriminatory in failing to apply documented criteria for grading that appears in the course syllabus when determining the student’s final grade.

Any student wishing to appeal a final grade should first discuss the grade with his or her instructor. If the instructor agrees, a change of grade form must be submitted (see policy). If the student is unable to resolve the grievance over a final course grade through consultation with the instructor, the student may submit a written request for review of the course grade stating the reasons for the review request to the Department Chair and the School Dean for the Department/School in which the course was taught.

Written requests for review of a final course grade by a Department Chair and the School Dean must be submitted no later than the end of the fifth week of the next regular, academic semester.

The decision on the appeal of a final course grade by the School Dean is final and cannot be appealed.

Change of Grade Process

Instructors are required to submit final grades to the Registrar via the Self-Service interface. The grade submitted to Self Service is the final grade of record regardless of what is listed in any other course management system. Instructors may ask the Registrar to change a grade without a formal process up until the point that grades are closed for that term as determined and communicated by the Registrar.

All grades, except Extension (EX), are final when grades are closed. However, the correction of a clerical or procedural error may be allowed with permission of the appropriate Department Chair or School Dean. No change of grade may be made on the basis of reassessment of the quality of a student’s work or the submission of additional work. Instructor requests to change a grade must be submitted to the Department Chair or School Dean by the last day of the add period of the regular academic semester immediately following the term of the grade change. The final decision about the change of grade request must be submitted to the Registrar no later than the last day to drop courses.

If a grade is changed, the Registrar notifies the student(s) affected by the change.

Grading: Credit/No Credit

Credit Courses that are never graded with a letter will be graded as Credit or No Credit, with a CR or an NC appearing on transcripts. A CR grade is awarded when a student has done D- or better work in a course.

Grading: Noncredit Courses

Noncredit Courses that are not letter graded will be graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory scale that will be reflected on the transcript as S or U.

Grading: Pass/LowPass/Fail for Credit Courses

It is the policy of Landmark College to permit students to take elective courses on a Pass/Low Pass/Fail basis. Courses that fulfill core or degree requirements cannot be taken as P/LP/F with the exception of internships.

P/LP/F is the required grading designation for Landmark College credit internships.  This serves to ensure that the degree requirement of internship within the alternative study requirement of the BALST can be met at C or better. 

A “P” is recorded on a student’s transcript when he/she earns a C or above. An LP is recorded in the event that a student has earned a grade of C-, D+, D or D-. An F is recorded when a student fails the course.

Selection of P/LP/F option for electives can begin as early as the add period, but must be completed before the end of the drop period of the semester. Re-designating a P/LP/F status in a course to a letter-graded status can only be completed during the add period of the semester.

Students may not select the P/LP/F option during their first semester at Landmark.

To select or deselect the P/LP/F option, a grading status form must be completed, approved by the student’s advisor, and submitted to the Registrar.

Professors do not know of a student’s P/LP/F status and, therefore, submit letter grades for all students, regardless of their grading status, to the Registrar by the end of the semester. The Registrar enters a P, LP, or F onto the student’s transcript when this grading status has been chosen.

The number of courses that a student may take using the P/LP/F grading option is limited to one per semester, with a total of two toward an Associate Degree and four toward a Bachelor’s Degree.  This limit is only for instances when students choose a P/LP/F option; internships graded at P/LP/F are not applied to this limit.

Grading: Writing Requirement

All students enrolled at Landmark College are required to complete WRT1011 Composition and Rhetoric  or its equivalent, and earn a minimum grade of C- in order to fulfill the requirement and to be eligible to move into the second required writing course, WRT1012 Research and Analysis . Students not earning the minimum grade of C- will be required to repeat the course. Because this is a General Education requirement, and one that also serves as a pre-requisite for many upper division courses across departments, it is expected that students complete the WRT1011 requirement within two attempts.

Appeal Process: Students unable to compete the WRT1011 requirement within two attempts must petition to the Dean of Education to continue enrollment at Landmark College for a third attempt. If students are unable to earn the minimum grade required for WRT1011, they may be liable for dismissal.

Graduation Policies

Graduation Requirements

A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 is required for graduation from Landmark College.

The number of credits required to graduate with an associate degree is 61. The number of credits required for a bachelor’s degree is 121 or 122, depending on the major.

Students must earn 31 credits at Landmark College for an associate degree. For a bachelor’s, a student must earn 41 credits at Landmark College. See also the transfer credit policy.

For requirement details, see the degree program requirements.

A student’s graduation is recorded in the database and the diploma is issued when all credits and degree requirements are complete.

Landmark College has three official graduation dates per year (December, May, and August), even though students may complete their last credits and requirements in January or at any earlier point in the Summer sessions; those finishing at these times officially graduate on the upcoming graduation date..

Commencement Walking Policy

To be eligible for participation in a college commencement ceremony a student must have successfully completed all major required courses.  Students who are within six credits of completing their degree may walk in the commencement ceremony.  

Any student can file a written appeal to the President at least one month in advance of a commencement ceremony, if the student feels that their circumstances might warrant additional policy flexibility.

Walking at commencement is not a guarantee of earning a degree. For those students who walk at commencement prior to meeting ALL graduation requirements, no academic honors will be conferred until after the student meets ALL academic requirements.

Graduation Credits

Students are graduated in the database and issued a diploma when all credits and degree requirements are complete.

Landmark College has three official graduation dates per year (December, May, and August), even though students may complete their last credits and requirements in January or at any earlier point in the Summer sessions; those finishing at these times officially graduate on the upcoming graduation date.

Walking at graduation is not a guarantee of earning a degree. For those students who walk at graduation prior to meeting ALL graduation requirements, no academic honors will be conferred until after the student meets ALL academic requirements.

Independent Study Policy

Independent study is defined as individual academic work in a discipline, such as reading, writing, creative arts, experimental research, or scientific study, under the direct sponsorship of a qualified Landmark College faculty member.

Independent Study Policy

Qualified students may pursue independent study in an academic area related to their degree interests. An independent study can be designated at either 1 or 3 credits. Students eligible for independent study need to have a 2.5 GPA or permission of the School Dean and need to have completed 12 Landmark College credits. Three-credit independent study courses will be graded, and one-credit courses may have the option of being taken as pass/fail.

The maximum number of independent study credits is three per semester. The maximum number of independent study credits that can be applied to a Landmark College Associate degree is 9 (or the equivalent of three 3-credit courses). The maximum number of independent study credits that can be applied to a Landmark College Bachelor’s degree is 12 (or the equivalent of four 3-credit courses). Students requesting independent study credits beyond the maximum require the permission of the School Dean.

Student-initiated proposals are submitted by the student and the faculty member to the Department Chair (or designate) and School Dean before the beginning of the second registration period.

Independent study courses follow departmental and curriculum committee guidelines and carry departmental codes. Independent studies cannot be courses that are already offered at Landmark College, but rather the study of a particular area within a discipline that is not part of our curriculum. Students will be expected to meet with faculty one hour per week, and independent class time is commensurate with in-class courses of equivalent credits and level.

Independent studies must be taken with a Landmark College professor.

Students are not guaranteed to be able to receive an independent study.

Students will complete an evaluation of the independent study.

Internship Policy

Proposed Internship Standards, Eligibility, and Process

An academic, credit bearing internship is an opportunity for students to gain experience in a career related occupational setting in order to develop professional skills outside of the traditional college/university classroom environment.

The following outlines Landmark College internship standards:

1) Internships at the 2000 level are exploratory in nature and provide a general feel for a career path or field of interest.

2) Internships at the 3000 level provide a more in-depth learning and work experience related to a student’s career goals or field of interest.

3) Internships at the 4000 level require more advanced knowledge and experience, this could be considered an entry level position.

4) All internships must have a content area affiliation indicated by the three letter course code assigned by the Dean of Education. The relevant school dean, in consultation with subject area faculty, determine if prerequisite knowledge is required for the position.

5) Internships must have clear job descriptions and be directly supervised on site.

6) Internship work experiences are substantive and challenging. They are mutually beneficial for the both employer and the student.

7) Internships may not be supervised by a member of the student’s immediate family or by the faculty of record for the online internship facilitation course.

8) Internships can take place in a for-profit or non-profit setting and can either be paid or unpaid. Work study money can be used to pay for a legitimate internship.

9) Internships are credit bearing experiences. Credit load is assigned by the content area dean based on the number of contact hours (time spent on-site performing the activities of an intern). All internships are supported by a common online class:

30-59 hours of contact time + active participation in the online course = 1 credit

10) To be considered an internship on the Landmark College transcript, the internship must be taken for credit.

Student Eligibility

1) In order to be eligible to participate in an internship, a student must have earned twelve (12) credits at Landmark College with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and be in good judicial standing. Exceptions to these criteria must be approved by the Dean of School where the internship is designated.

Registration Process

1) Internships may be taken during each academic session (Fall/Spring semester, Summer, J-Term) but must be completed during the session for which the internship is designated.

2) Students are encouraged to work with the office of Transfer, Career, and Internships (TCI) prior to the registration period to identify approved internship opportunities, prepare resumes, cover letters, and practice for interviews.

3) Once the student is hired by an approved internship provider, the student must get a signed work agreement contract from the employer. Students may obtain this contract through TCI.

4) Students must meet with the department chair and complete the internship approval form.

5) Student eligibility, the signed work agreement, and the internship approval form must be on file with the Registrar for a student to be able to register for the online course/internship.

6) All internships are facilitated by an online course. For the internship to be credit bearing, the student must be registered for the online course. Students must register for the internship during the registration period for the semester or session in which the internship will be taking place. No internship registrations will be permitted past the deadlines for course registration of the semester or session in which the internship will take place. Therefore, both the signed work agreement, and the internship approval form must be obtained prior to (or during) the registration period.

7) A maximum of three internship credits may be counted toward the Associate degrees and a maximum of 12 credits may be counted towards the Bachelor’s degree.

8) Internships are recorded as electives and do not fulfill core curriculum requirements for an Associate degree.

9) A three-credit internship at the 2000 or 3000 or 4000 level can fulfill the BALST requirement for alternative study.

10) Landmark College will not retroactively approve credit for internships.

Leave of Absence Policy

  • Students who need to leave for a short period of time, such as for a death in the family, medical issues, etc., may be allowed to return to their classes if they are in good academic standing upon departure, and the leave of absence does not prohibit them from successful completion of the course goals and objectives. The leave period of time allowed by this policy is generally 1 to 2 weeks. Service members or reservists requiring a short-term deployment or service-related leave will be allowed up to three weeks of absence from the College. Leaves of Absence are granted by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
    • Satisfactory demonstration of the attainment and completion of class goals following such a leave will be determined by the professor, in consultation with the student and the academic advisor.
    • Process for re-enrollment is outlined on the following webpage: www.landmark.edu/admissions/apply-now/former-students

Math Placement Requirement Policy

All Landmark College students must successfully complete at least one college-level mathematics course as part of their degree program requirements. Students are placed in an appropriate mathematics class at the time of registration by completing the required math placement instrument. Students who transfer an approved college-level mathematics course with a minimum grade of “C” will be exempt from completing the placement. Students overdue in completing the math placement may be placed on Registrar’s hold, preventing them from participating in academic registration. A student is overdue if more than one registration period has passed since he or she entered Landmark College.

Placement and First-Year Points of Entry

Upon acceptance to Landmark College, students place into one of three Points of Entry:

  • Language Intensive Curriculum (LIC)
  • Partial-Credit Curriculum (PC)
  • Credit Curriculum (C)

The Academic Placement Team reviews relevant information from the application for admission to determine each student’s initial placement in the curriculum. Relevant materials may include educational history, achievement test results and performance on the College’s placement test. The Placement Team works to ensure that each student is placed at a level of the curriculum that is appropriate to the student’s skill level and most likely to facilitate individual academic growth.

Once placed, each student receives written notice of the placement decision. Students with questions about placement may appeal their placement decisions with the Director of First-Year Academic Programming and Placement. Refer to information on the First-Year Program for more information.

Reporting Student Grades: Grades and Final Reports

It is the policy of Landmark College to provide students at the midterm with a letter grade for each class in which they are enrolled, based on the specific course objectives. At the end of the semester, students receive a letter grade and comment for each class.

Any student enrolled in a course as of final exam week receives a final grade and final comment for the course. The final comment is entered in SIS when the final grade is submitted to Self Service.

If a student is granted an extension, the professor of the course will submit a final comment in SIS when submitting the final grade to Self Service.

Reporting Student Grades: Transcripts

Transcripts contain records of courses taken, grades and credit received. Course description material and other information may be requested in addition to the transcript. It is the policy of Landmark College that its official transcripts, bearing the College seal and the Registrar’s signature, may be released only upon written request of the student or alumnus/alumna.

Landmark College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to process Transcript Orders via the web. Students may order transcripts with any major credit card. Credit card will only be charged after an order has been completed.

Transcripts may be withheld by order of appropriate College officials, if some financial or other obligation to Landmark College remains unmet.

Reporting Student Grades: Warnings

Notices of academic warning are sent via the Student Information System (SIS) to students who are in danger of failing a course. First warnings are reported to the student and his or her advisor. Second and subsequent warnings are reported to the Dean of the School of Education and, in cases where the student has waived his or her FERPA rights, to the student’s parents or designee. Academic warnings are also reported to the Dean of the School of Education.

Transfer Credit Policies

Landmark College will accept as many credits as appropriate (up to 80 credits in the B.A. or 30 credits in the A.A./A.S.). All students are required to complete at least 24 out of their final 30 credits at Landmark College.

Determination of eligible credits depends on program requirements and individual transcripts. Transfer students entering Landmark with 40 (or more) credits may be allowed to waive certain prerequisites and/or replace core courses. Students are required to get approval from the appropriate Department Chair to enroll in higher level courses without prerequisites.

Transfer credits do not affect the student’s GPA; the course and credits are transferred, but not the grade.

The following requirements must be met to receive credit:

  • Credits must be from a public or private institution accredited by an authorized regional accreditation agency, such as NEASC.
  • Course Grades must be at 2.0 or higher (e.g. “C”) to be transferred to Landmark.
  • Courses graded on a pass/fail basis, offered on a noncredit basis, or that are equivalent to noncredit courses at Landmark will not be transferred.
  • AP courses with a grade of 3 or above may be transferred to receive credit.

IB courses with a grade of 4 or above may be transferred to receive credit.

The requirements for certain programs at Landmark College are waived at the discretion of the School Dean. These courses will be considered for transfer on a case-by-case basis.

Re-Enrollment Process

Very often, students who have left the College before graduating decide they need to return - either for a class in the summer, a semester or to complete their degree. Re-enrollment requirements depend to some extent on the circumstances of the departure and its duration.

Re-enrollment Process for Students Away From the College

Students who have been away from the College will work through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (do not contact academic advisors or any other office), and should use the following process to request re-enrollment for a future semester.

  1. In the time when a student who has withdrawn or has been suspended is away from Landmark College, it is expected that he or she has been constructively occupied and has maintained a satisfactory standard of conduct.
  2. In all cases, re-enrollment will require a personal statement, outlining why the student is requesting re-enrollment to Landmark College and how the student has occupied his or her time while away from the campus. Students should also include the transcripts from any educational institution they attended while they were away from Landmark College.
  3. Please note other factors that will be taken into consideration in the re-enrollment process:
    1. Students who left in poor academic standing may be placed on Academic Probation for a period of at least one semester.
    2. Students who withdrew for medical reasons or for reasons of safety must obtain a recommendation from a clinical practitioner who is qualified to assess the student’s current state of physical and/or mental health and can state that the student is ready to reengage in a residential college and the rigors of a course of academic study.
    3. Students who were suspended from the College must provide all documentation required in their letter of suspension from Landmark College.
    4. Students who left with pending disciplinary charges will be required to address those matters with the student conduct office before re-enrollment can be completed.

While the majority of students who apply for re-enrollment do return to Landmark College, re-enrollment is not guaranteed to any applicant. Landmark College seeks to re-enroll only those students who have demonstrated an ability to remain in good academic standing and citizenship and who are likely to persist to the completion of the degree requirements. Therefore, Landmark College may sometimes advise an applicant to defer his or her return until a time later than the one originally proposed.

To initiate the re-enrollment process, a student should complete the online forms found at https://landmarkstudentaffairs.wufoo.com/forms/reenrollment-request. Once the form is received, the request will be reviewed by the Vice President of Student Affairs or the Vice President for Academic Affairs or their designee. In most cases, a response will be provided within 10 days. Any further questions about re-enrollment to the College should be directed to the Dean of Students.

Satisfactory Academic Progress: Expected Completion Schedule

It is the policy of Landmark College that students enrolled in non-credit courses are expected to be enrolled in and successfully complete at least three courses each semester. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA of 1990) mandate that reasonable accommodations be made for individuals with learning disabilities, including extending time limits for completion of academic requirements. However, students at Landmark can be expected to make satisfactory progress toward completion of the program within a specific time frame. Federal standards require that students complete their program within 150% of the standard program length.  That is, students attending full time and working towards our Associate’s degree of 61 credits must complete the degree in 3 years. They may attempt as many as 92 credits in order to complete the degree in this time. Students attending Landmark College as full time students, and working towards our Bachelor’s degree must complete in six years, and can take up to 180 attempted credits to fulfill the 120 credit degree requirement.

Furthermore, it is the policy of Landmark College that students enrolled in non-credit courses are expected to be enrolled in and successfully complete at least four courses each semester in order to be considered full time students. Federal regulations state that students on financial aid may not receive aid for more than 30 credit-equivalents (where each non-credit class is worth 3 credit-equivalents) attempted or completed of remedial credits. Full time students must progress through any given level of the non-credit curriculum within two semesters and a summer term, and be enrolled in a credit course load after one year. Students who require an additional semester at the non-credit level may appeal to the Dean of the School of Education for a waiver. The maximum time a student may spend in non-credit courses is two years, however, students needing financial aid will not be eligible for a continuation of aid if they remain in non-credit courses over one year and one summer term. Students enrolled full-time in credit courses are expected to be enrolled in, and successfully complete, at least four courses (or twelve credit hours) each semester, and to complete all of the requirements for the Associate Degree within three years (six semesters and one summer term). 

Students who may be making progress but who are unable to complete the program requirements within the expected time allotment may request an extension from the School Dean. Such students must produce documentation of progress and propose in writing a time frame and schedule for completion of the requirements. Federal law, however, states that students taking more than 150 percent of time to complete a degree will not be eligible to receive financial aid beyond the 150% of time to completion.

Withdrawing from a Course

To withdraw from a course, the student’s advisor must sign a completed Drop/Add/Withdrawal form. The appropriate department chair must approve the form. A grade of W, WP, or WF must be specified on the form.

  • A student can withdraw from any course, for any reason, prior to the end of week 8 of the semester.
  • The student must submit a complete Course Withdrawal form signed by his or her advisor. A grade of W, WP, or WF must be specified on the form.
  • The approved form must be submitted to the Registrar. The Registrar confirms the withdrawal via email with the student, advisor, professor, and chair.
  • Withdrawing from a course during the first four (4) weeks of a semester is considered dropping a course, and no record of the course appears on the student transcript.
  • The grade of W appears on the student’s transcript for withdrawals prior to the end of week 8 in the semester, but does not affect the student’s GPA.
  • After week 8, any student who withdraws from a course must have either a grade of WP (withdraw-passing), or WF (withdraw-failing) specified on the form, depending on the student’s grade in the course at the time of the withdrawal.
  • The grade of WF is the same grade as an F and is factored into the student’s GPA as an F.
  • A student can take a WP or WF until the end of the last day of classes in the semester.
  • If a student drops the course during the drop period, this is not considered a withdrawal.
  • Administrative withdrawals (AWs) follow the same schedule as standard withdrawals for assigning grades of W, WP, or WF. AWs should not be issued until the drop period ends.
    • A significant difference between an AW and the standard withdrawal is that the course professor initiates the AW, while a standard withdrawal is initiated by the student and advisor. An AW appears as a withdrawal on the transcript.
  • Administrative withdrawals cannot occur during the last ten days of classes.
  • The Registrar will supply the exact dates of the withdrawal period at the beginning of each semester.
  • Refer to the guidelines for administrative withdrawals for more information. The Registrar will supply the exact dates of the withdrawal period at the beginning of each semester.

Withdrawing from the College

A student may withdraw from Landmark College until 5 p.m. on the last day of classes. Upon withdrawing, a “W” symbol will appear in the grade column on a student’s transcript for all courses still in session on the effective date of withdrawal. Courses that ended before the effective date of the withdrawal will report grades following normal conventions. All courses that have not yet started as of the effective date of the withdrawal will be deleted and no entry will appear on the student’s transcript.

Students who live in a residence hall must check out of the hall within 24 hours after withdrawing.

There are four classifications of withdrawal. They are as follows:

Withdrawing: Administrative and initiated by Professor

A student who leaves Landmark College without informing the Office of Student Affairs or the Office of the Academic Affairs may be administratively withdrawn from the College after missing 10 consecutive class days.

Students capable of signing the official withdrawal form are expected to do so. If the student is not capable of signing the form, the Vice President of Student Affairs (VPSA) or the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) or their designee may sign on behalf of the student. 

Students who are suspended from Landmark College will not be allowed on campus as of the effective date of their suspension without the express, written consent from the VPSA or the VPAA. Students who are suspended will be eligible for re-enrollment at a future date and may have specific re-enrollment criteria to be met for re-enrollment to be considered.

Students who are expelled from Landmark College will not be allowed on campus as of the effective date of their expulsion without the express, written consent from the VPSA or the VPAA. Students who are expelled from Landmark College will not be readmitted.

Withdrawing: Involuntary

Students may be forced to withdraw from Landmark College for inadequate academic performance (e.g., dropping down to one class or being administratively removed from all individual classes), or when the College determines that the student is a possible danger to one’s self or to others or that the student has refused to cooperate with efforts deemed necessary by the College to determine if the student represents such a danger.

Withdrawing: Medical

A medical withdrawal will be granted in the case of extraordinary circumstances - such as a serious illness or injury - that prevent a student from continuing his or her coursework. This classification covers both physical-health and mental-health difficulties. A student must provide documentation from a qualified professional for a medical withdrawal within 30 days of his or her departure from campus. The College may certify a medical withdrawal without documentation. Clearance from qualified professionals may be required for a student to resume their studies in a later semester.

Withdrawing: Voluntary

At any time during the year, a student may withdraw from Landmark College for personal reasons. In consultation with the VPSA or VPAA, a student planning to return to Landmark College should discuss the requirements for readmission.